Wednesday, January 07, 2015

figures versus hangings

Over the years I have constantly worked with both figures-(3 dimensional form)  and hangings.  I prefer to work 3dimensionally and naturally drawn to express myself in that way but commercially it is pictures and hangings that sell most.

I struggle with the desciptions of my figures - are they dolls? or not ?  I dislike the term 'doll' but am unsure why - it is just a name but the time, design element and work that goes into my figures is way above that that I dedicate to pictures and hangings.  I am always striving for a new figure - always experimenting, always searching for new materials and methods.

This dilema rears again now with the prospect of the  'open studio' period - I find myself working with figures but feeling guilty that I should be producing hangings to sell.
Currently I am working with wood and papier mache - a new idea and technique although both media I have worked with before but separately.  These figures will be painted . stitched and finished ready for open studio  - and the development into further models will continue.


The big question for me is......................do I work with hangings or continue unashamedly with my figures?
Zaz;0)

3 Comments:

Blogger Boud said...

When in doubt, do both! at least that's my philosophy. I agree on the term doll. It doesn't convey that these are artworks. I created and dressed a set of character dolls who appear on my Field and Fen blog, and I don't like it when people say, as someone just commented today, oh my kids are way beyond dolls! they're not playthings, but the name doll was misleading. Mine have a political as well as a social agenda, as readers sometimes grasp and sometimes don't.

Maybe we should invent a new term? yours are art figures, but we need a nice new word.

2:36 AM  
Blogger Zaz said...

Absolutell right! It would be an advantage to describe them something other than dolls - not even sure about the term 'art dolls' but in the absence of anything better ?? ;0) I still refer to them as textile figures as this is the nearest I can muster ! I remember a very similar discussion many moons ago regarding the term 'embroidery' and textile art'- it ius such a shame that these labels create confusion.

Sara

4:35 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Follow your heart! I have seen "dolls" mounted in frames and these seem to tick the box for artwork.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home