Monday, October 09, 2006

re-assessing and acknowldeging the parentage


every once in a while something happens that makes one stop short and restock! It can be a happening, a book, a show, a song ...........anything!

Recently it happened to me - I have been reading a book called The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Habit-Learn-Use-Life/dp/0743235274/sr=8-1/qid=1160424580/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3987620-6908765?ie=UTF8&s=books A book that is outstanding in its interpretation of creativity and how we approach it.

In this book Ms Tharp addresses the subject of childrens photos - she laughs out loud at being presented with other peoples childrens and baby photos - what resemblance? what about grandads nose??? '' Frankly'' she says '' I just dont get it''. She then goes on to describe in such beautiful detail a picture of herself as a child ..........................and the interpretation.

I feel the same - I hate to see other peoples baby photos ..............but this one of me speaks a thousand words.

What do I see?

I see a little girl keen to learn , hence the book, but with one eye looking over her shoulder for the next challenge to appear. I see a little girl with a glint in her eyes - a mischieveous love of life and a ability to be happy and consider herself lucky in this life.

I see a girl who loves to be outside , not a natural country child, note the cushion, but none the less loves to be outside .............providing the comfort zone is intact!

I see a little girl ready to take her place in the w0rld - confident on her own, but perhaps looking for that little reassurance that we all need along the way. I see a child who loves to pose, to dress up but actually reveals a shyness that clearly needs the nod of approval.

I see a girl whos dress sense leave a lot to be desired but who is unafraid to experiment with the textures of a pattern dress, grey woolly socks and leather sandals. A feminine tomboy? - even at this young age.

I see a dancer, an artist, a learner, a poser, a cheeky person ............these things are the imprint of me . This picture may have been taken more years ago than I care to think about, but it is me - and I am all there in that picture.

Thanks Mum and Dad for providing me with this huge, wonderful, amazing gift of life - I salute and love you both.

Zaz;-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Sara I looked at the wee girls face an you know... you haven't changed a bit... not really (from the photo's I've seen of you that is). Maybe we never really change? Do you find you're going back and visiting her. I visit myself at 4-6 years old and it's all there...all my interests and passion for colour and texture and plants and...

5:38 PM  
Blogger Digitalgran said...

I did so enjoy that Sara. I agree with Helen, we don't change, we develop, but never change. I was knitting fair isle hats at 5, because my mum did, I couldn't be with straight things, oh, no I wanted to learn how to increase and decrease! I'm still the same, it's one hurdle after another. I must look for some photos of myself as a child. We did not have a camera when I was small, so they are very few and far between.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Sally Webster said...

Hi Sara

What a good analysis! In my shakey moments I am saved by a photo of myself about the same age playing the piano with my dad's massive gloves on. Reassures me that I am a determined sod who will preceivere no matter how hard it is or how many obstacled I put in my own way.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Thanks for the journey down memory lane....I have lots of photos of me - as my dad was into photography and developed his own work in the bathroom.I love to browse through his photos, he was meticulous in presenting them too. I will now look at them in a very different way. Have always thought of them in terms of His creative eye.Maggie H

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home